The days are longer and so is the list.

Progress is being made on Gypsy. It is the sort of progress that just slowly moves forward. No great leaps and not too many steps backward. We have many intersecting projects that all need something else to happen first. Nina calls these the chicken and egg projects. Yes, try to figure out what is an egg and what is a chicken.

One of the eggs was getting the sound deadening  foam in the engine compartment. This foam has a regular foam side and a layer of lead filled foam to decouple vibration. We had this type of foam around the engine on our previous boat and it does cut back on the engine noise. We needed to get the foam on the engine room walls before we ran plumbing and electrical wires. We had to decide how the galley sink was going to be installed so we would know where the foam could go. The sink is new so we had to decide how it was going to fit. once that was decided the foam could go on.

patern
Paper template for the sound insulation for the engine. The boxes that stick through are where gear will be mounted.
lead_foam_cutting
Cutting the foam to match the template. We use an electric carving knife to cut the foam. Don’t worry, we do not use this on a real turkey.
installed
The foam is installed.

We have been installing the large battery cables into the boat. This is the first step to getting everything wired.

doors_fit
We got the port side doors for the settee back fit. They are now getting painted before they get installed.

We also had several projects that had been waiting for better weather.

hatch_boards
The companionway hatch slides have been installed. The hatch boards are also getting a test fit. The Gypsy G has been cut into the hatch board and it looks great. The G is from the previous owner of Gypsy, George Kent.  When we bought Gypsy, the G was on a wooden plaque on the door.  It’s a fun graphic and a nice way to honor some of the history of the boat.  The boards are now getting painted. We wanted to keep our red doors. The hatch boards will be much better suited to ocean sailing than the doors were.

Another project is that has been waiting was adding more rub strips on the boat.

rub_strips
New rub strip installed. They will help keep lines from damaging the paint.
caulk_cleanup
Cleaning up all of the extra caulk after the install.
gasket
The cockpit locker lids have needed a gasket to keep water out. We traced the opening and Bill is putting the foam tape on the hatch.
20160628-20160628-P1030542
We also got latches installed so we can lock up the boat.

The engine cover is another project. the cover is needed for noise suppression and to hide the engine. We are redesigning it because we did not like how the original cover worked.

20160628-20160628-WP_20160628_16_46_48_Pro
A template for the cover.

 

 

 

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “The days are longer and so is the list.”

  1. Excellent progress. I see the Groco 750 sea water strainer. Advise: replace the strainer basket with the plastic version. The stainless steel strainer basket will fail in a few weeks in warm salt water south of Oregon. At ~$30 a backup spare is not a bad investment if it keeps the boat going.

    Like

  2. I always enjoy reading about your project! I have used a product called Green Glue ( I know funny name) but reall good sound product that you could use.

    >

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s