Week 13: Sanding and really big holes

It has been a week filled with dust and shavings.  Friday we re-drilled all of the toe rail holes after they had been cast with epoxy. That’s one more job off the list. The cabin, cockpit locker and dodger have been sanded some more. We want to be able to paint the insides of the cabin where the ports will go and where the engine, fuel and water tanks will be.

We made our dorade boxes. The molds were ready to go with a coat of wax and gel coat. We added two layers of fiberglass mat followed by three layers of biax cloth on the sides and 5 layers of biax on the tops. These are going to be stout boxes. (Dorades are water trap vents, they have a cowl vent on top, drains on the bottom and a air tube that lets air into, but keeps water out of the cabin.)

It took a half gallon of resin to laminate the layers of cloth.
It took a half gallon of resin to laminate the layers of cloth.

Sunday we popped the dorades out of the molds and trimmed off the excess cloth. Monday they got fit to the cabin top. The location of the dorades was dependent on the location of the oar rack. The oar rack had to avoid lines for the main sheet and vang. The dodger got installed to help decide on how the lines would run. In the end we found a place where everything will work, but it took a little fiddling with where thing would go.deck_and_dodgerTuesday the holes for the cowl vent and inspection plate were cut out on the dorades and a baffle was glued in to keep spray coming down the cowls from going into the air tubes.

you can see the baffel epoxied in place. The 4" PVC pipe has been covered in fiberglass and is ready to become the air tubes.
You can see the baffle epoxied in place. The 4″ PVC pipe has been covered in fiberglass and is ready to be cut into about 6″ lengths to become the air tubes.

The cockpit is ready for us to layout where the hardware goes.

Getting winches and cleats where we want them.
Getting winches and cleats where we want them. Nina jokingly referred to this as getting the alligators in a row.

This was followed by drilling holes and casting them with epoxy. Next week we will re-drill them.

The new engine instrament panel was installed. The old location was around the corner.
The new engine instrument panel was installed. The old location was around the corner to the left.  The new one will be sealed and watertight.
The hawse pipe for theanchor windlass was lined with kevlar. The plug will give us a nice round hole.
The hawse pipe for the anchor windlass was lined with Kevlar. The plug will give us a nice round hole for the anchor chain and rope (rode) to drop down.

The bulkhead to support the cockpit was fiberglassed, but it had not been sanded properly first. The fiberglass popped off, it was a sad day. Here is try two.  This one did actually stick.bulkhead_try_2

propane_locker_top
One of our goals has been improved access to the propane locker. This is the new top for the locker and cockpit combings. It is sitting on top of its mold.
propane_locker_
This is where the lid will go.  This will also create a wider seat to sit on.
Inside the propane locker we found the original hull number plate.
Inside the propane locker we found the original hull number plate.
Our new 60 gallon fuel tank came back from being welded. It is almost ready to install.
Our new 60 gallon fuel tank came back from being welded. It is almost ready to install.  All the openings are taped off to keep the incredible amount of dust we generate out of the tank.
Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Week 13: Sanding and really big holes”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s