Week 10:Progress.

We have been busy and it is starting to show. For awhile it has seemed like not much was happening. This week progress has been more apparent, which means all that prep is paying off. We have finished filling in the gaps around the holes for the ports so that they will have solid, tight fits. We have even made shims on the inside of the cabin to create a flat spot in the curving sides of the cabin for the forward-most ports. This should mean trouble-free and leak-free ports.

The inside view of the forward porthole opening. The shim gives a flat surface for the port to mount to.
The inside view of the forward porthole opening. The shim gives a flat surface for the port to mount to.

The dodger got glassed. The edge stiffener and hand grip that we have been working on has been covered in fiberglass. Last week we were gluing on the PVC pipe. Chris smoothed all the curves and we gave it 3 layers of glass cloth and one layer of mat. It’s a nice, strong edge. Now it has to get sanded and finished.

Papered to catch the drips we are ready to start glassing.
Papered to catch the drips we are ready to start glassing.
After glassing. Lots of resin drips, but the glass work looks good.
After glassing. Lots of resin drips, but the glass work looks good.
Dorade_1
The molds for the dorades. Bill still needs to add a fillet around the bottom edges before starting to glass them.

Dorades are another project we need to get done. These are water trap boxes that ventilation cowls will be mounted on. This lets us get fresh air in the boat even if it is stormy. The old wood boxes were showing their age so we are making fiberglass replacements that will get glassed to the cabin top.

Sanding the fillets in the mold. I use sandpaper and a dowel. To get them right I will fill with putty, sand, refill and sand.
Sanding the fillets in the mold. I use sandpaper and a dowel. To get them right I will fill with putty, sand, refill and sand.

Nina has been working on the bulkhead that will go at the aft end of the cockpit. It will provide support for the cockpit. The cardboard template has been cut out in plywood and fitted to the hull. It is made in two parts so it can fit into the boat.  They will be glued together with a spline and epoxied to the hull.  Her last job for the week was to prep the hull with 36-grit sandpaper (full bunny suit, goggles, respirator and many layers of gloves while creating storms of fiberglass dust in a small enclosed space. She’s glad that’s over.)

Ready to install. It has been caoted with epoxy to protect it from moisture.
Ready to install. It has been coated with epoxy to protect it from moisture.

Other things that have been happening this week.

PVC mock up of the oar rack. It will hold oars, and the dinghy mast, boom and seat.
PVC mock up of the oar rack. It will hold oars, and the dinghy mast, boom and seat.
Head vent base.
Head vent base.  Having a composting toilet requires a dedicated, always-on vent.  The doughnut shaped piece will have a solar powered fan/vent screwed into the top of it.

Marsden meanwhile, has been working on stanchion brace parts.  He’s milled the straight pieces, bent them to shape and smoothed out the rings and prepped the mounting brackets.  They’ll all be sent off to be welded.  Hopefully the new stanchion posts will arrive this week.

 

 

Advertisements

One thought on “Week 10:Progress.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s